Thursday, January 15, 2009

We have arrived succussfully and with all of our luggage! At the Nurnburg airport, we picked up our Audi rental and drove out to Erlangen to get settled in our apartment. In the last couple of days before Rolf returned back to work, we managed to fit a lot of activities in. Such as getting buck naked and heading out to the local sauna with dozens of other buck naked Europeans. Buck naked in the snow and in negative degrees and with BARE feet! People are NOT shy here about their bodies....spread eagle! Really though, it was beautiful and something like a winter wonderland and with such cold temps, the sauna really hit the spot. We took the train out to Nurnburg to do some sightseeing for the day and to shop! The shopping here in Germany is out of this world. Rich wools, soft leathers, tailored silks, and shining jewels. This could be a problem. Especially with the terrible exchange rate...I'm trying to adjust. We went salsa dancing with some of Rolf's friends and tore up the dance floor. Our goal was to show-off and I think that we managed.
My first impressions of Germany is that it's COLD! I'm wearing something like 3 full layers of clothes. Two pairs of socks, long johns, jeans, tank top, shirt, sweater, jacket, scarf, 2 layers of gloves, ear muffs, and snow boots. Slowly, I have cut back slightly and I feel as though I'm beginning to get used to the weather. First, I was dreaded going outside...We walk everywhere and I didn't necessarily look forward to that, but now I can go without gloves. It's progress. I also successfully navigated myself through the city of Munich on our first trip there. I was alone because Rolf was at work. I spent the day hopping subway trains and exploring the city. I found everything that I set out to find and still made it on time to my appointment with my host family! I finally met them and the kiddos! The kids are darling and very fluent in English. The little girl is four (Lorraine) and the little boy is seven (Lucas). Verena and Sascha seem to be wonderful people who are very willing to help me with anything that I might need. Our meeting was pleasant and I finally feel a sense of relief because I had been very stressed about finding work and getting a visa to stay here. I got to see the apartment that Rolf and I will be living in once we move to Munich and it's so cute! Small, but has just enough space for the two of us city dwellers. It's about 100 yards (I'm still not on the metric system) from the subway and it's in a quiet part of the city. The apartment is also located one subway stop away from Rolf's work! We have a big patio and lots of trees to look out at. I have the keys and we will move to Munich next week. During that week, I will slowly be taking over my job responsibilities and learning how to drive here. I will be learning how to drive in Munich with only the finest German vehicle......A brand new Mercedes SUV.
Rolf's work has been exciting for him, too. He loves his new office and he says that his new boss is someone he can really enjoy working for. He already has accepted a short-term assignment in Vienna. He is there now and left this morning, but only for a couple of days. He will begin his designated assignment in February which is in Milan, Itlay. For three weeks out of each month, he will be working there and then spend the last week in Munich. We don't know for how many months it will go on like this, but it may be for the full duration of the 8 months. I'm not so hot for that prospect, but this means I can visit Italy on the weekends!
Sandra, Rolf's sister, will visit us from Swizterland this weekend. This will be the first of three family members to meet. We're excited to host her stay and I'm looking forward to meeting her.
I should probably practice my German......

No comments:

Post a Comment