Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Not all is bad

I guess I'm becoming more German than I've realized. I have been complaining so much lately! (There certainly has been a fair amount to complain about in my defense.) When I was a teenager I loved to comment on "things that annoy me." My mom would always say: Add it to your list! But to get away from that, I'm going to share some of the more pleasant news that come from Deutschland.

First thing. I got the chance to meet up with my uncle here in Germany! He is an international airline pilot and we arranged the time to meet him in Wiesbaden for a weekend. And what a weekend it was. Due to all the stress, we really needed to get away as they often say and my uncle helped to make for a very relaxing retreat.

I have always adored my uncle. I rarely get to see him because of the industry he works in. The last time I had seen him was two years back at my going away party when I escaped to Thailand. Needless to say, we had a lot to catch up on.



(We had just come back from our run in this photo....We don't wear this gear out and about...Just to clarify.)

The conversation lasted seven hours. Seven! It's not that I was counting or anything but I only realized after when we were going to bed that the dialoge was steady to say the least. We started with coffee and then traveled to another coffee place and then ended up at a very classically German restaurant. Since my uncle often flies to Germany, we were able to share our cultural impressions of the culture with one another and how they differ from what we're used to in the States. One thing that we both agreed on was the fact that Germans are so quick to take off their clothes! Not in any sexual way, but just to casually change clothes in public or catch a tan during lunch break. From suit to nude.

I thought that I've always "known" my uncle; who he is and what he does, where he lives. But talking to him personally I began to learn things that I never knew and vice versa. First off, he has been practically everywhere on this planet except for Prague. He would continuouslly ask Rolf: Have you been to...? I was amazed at how much of the globe he had covered and with stories to share also! It made me think about how your life is really your own and you make of it what you want. If you want certain things or desire to have things, they really are there for the taking. You just have to have the courage to step out and seize opportunities. I love you Uncle Pete! Thanks for such a great weekend!

It was esspecially nice to have that quality time with him that I had never really had before and also I was thrilled to have him meet Rolf. At one point, Rolf had left for a bathroom break and my uncle leaned in to let me know how much he approved of him. It was the last family member of mine that Rolf had not yet met.

It's my turn now to meet his family now that we are in Germany. I already have had the pleasure of meeting his sister and spending time with her. Next month in April for Easter we will be going to Rolf's hometown to meet the rents! I'm anxious to show off my newly acquired German skills and see the home that Rolf grew up in. They both don't speak English (his dad really tries and knows some vocabulary)but, I think it will be better for me to communicate in their language. This is surely a new ballgame for me. (Rolf too.)

This past weekend in Erlangen, my friend Kuba who I had met while I was living in Thailand, came to stay with us for a night. I had not seen him obviously since I had left the Kingdom of Thailand and he by chance was working temporarily in Germany. We went salsa dancing and out to a couple of bars to witness Germans getting drunk. How unusual.......It was quite a struggle for him to arrive in Erlangen because he accidently forgot the directions and instead of a 3 hour drive, it took him just about 6. He was happy to finally arrive and take a beer back.




We also got the chance that same weekend to take the high speed train up to Bamberg to visit Rolf's friend, Yvonne. I had actually met her before when she visited us in the States back in November. Bamberg was a great little city. Just what you would imagine a typical German city to be like. Old buildings and restaurants that date back to the 1500's, a river that runs through the city and the castle up on top of the hill. The weather was nice and not too cold, so we spent our time walking around and window shopping. Which is actually fun here and what people typically do. In the States, you don't often see people walking around just to stand in front of windows and point to things that catch their eye.


Even though the move across the Atlantic didn't prove to be as smooth as one would hope, we are still managing to fit in all the things that we want to do. Seeing friends, going out and visiting new places. I have to say that I'm lucky and fortunate to have this opportunity. Although, I could never have done this or gotten through this without the help of my man...Rolf. Thanks, sweetie! You're the best!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Grandma just read all of your entries. She remarked, "That daughter of yours . . . " She enjoyed your perspectives of life in Germany. Love you and miss you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The popcorn sure looks good! Is there a special German recipe for popcorn? :) Did Rolf check out the silly picture of him? I've never been a beer drinker, but I guess I'll have to order a brew when we visit you. Love you! I'm packing your box today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad says, "I enjoyed reading your blog. I love you dearly. I'm glad everything is going well for you."

    ReplyDelete